Sunday, April 30, 2006

My childhood

As inspired by Chris's post on her childhood, I was just reminiscing through my childhood and so I decided to post on that.

::Disclaimer: I'm much better now, promise. :) ::

When I was younger, I remember that I was a total nightmare as a child. As the first born, I was pretty much the only child until I was 6 -7 years old. My daddy adored me and I was pretty much my mummy's girl.

However, my parents had to work most of the time, so besides a domestic helper taking care of me, it was pretty much just me.

Don't get me wrong, I still think I had a great childhood, but when I think about some of the things I used to do, I can't help but shudder at how much my parents have been through with me. So even now, with my brothers acting up and everything, I just sigh and tell them 'I was the pioneer of my time. So seriously, all this is old news'.

You can pretty much tell I was awful.

Let's start with the basics.

::Homework::
Every kid HATES homework, but none moreso than me. I believe I went through 6 years of primary school, wait. secondary school as well, HATING homework. And of course, if you hate something, you just don't do it. So, I went through this period of time just NOT doing any homework.
But it gets better. Not only did I not do my homework, I threw my books away. I think I hid some of the more important ones (thank god I actually knew they were important), and threw the rest away.

To date, I think I remain the only person who ever burnt her textbook after an exam. :)
And I did think it was funny too.

::Teachers::
Now, the teachers, obviously, HATED me. I was a troublemaker, always not doing my homework and always questioning their actions. I would actively look up some weird question to test my teachers. And I would loooove to watch them SQUIRM trying to answer those questions. Sadistically, I would moreso enjoy watching them bluff their way out.
I don't think I really respected many teachers during my youth, though a few managed to keep me in line. A few teachers gave me the nickname of 'mosquito', because I sucked their blood.
I don't regret it, because they weren't even good teachers, and I rather disliked them because, quite simply, they didn't deserve any respect.
Obviously, a 30-40 year old picking on a what.. 9-10 yr old is shameless, and to this day, I still stand by the fact that they simply do NOT deserve any respect. Because they didn't teach.

I remember, when I was 14, I got 5 demerits (thus adding to my wholesome demerit record of 32 demerits), for actively waving the finger in a teacher's face. Now, she was an old hag anyways, so no skin off my nose, but this meant that I had one of the highest demerit records among the school (yes, the whole school), and this meant detention.
Detention, in those days, was really fun. When I was a teenager, I knew all the prefects. Or, councillors, as we called them. But yeah, I knew a good number of them, so detention, would be usually something like washing the loos, which had already been washed so all I had to do was splash some water around the place, and for the next 115 minutes, chat to the prefects, of which, most were good friends by now.

I also remember this one teacher. Man was she funny. She would tell us to copy something down, and then when everyone was madly copying, she'd turn around and berate us for copying it down and not listening to her. mentull.

But yeah, I managed to top that by getting some 40 over demerits the next year. which was awesome. ;)
But to this day, I dislike teachers. One thing is that I could NEVER be a teacher. at least, not to a class of 40 odd brats.

::School::
I hated school right for the very start. Why should I go to school, what was I learning that I did not already knew, or even better, had no practical use for? I didn't like Chinese, because I was not good with languages, moreso because I was English-educated, and Chinese just does not make any sense as a language. Now, I still think that Chinese is a difficult language, and anybody who can thoroughly master it does deserve some respect.
I thought the humanities were a waste of time, especially History. Who, would want to learn about dead people and the mistakes that they made? Not me, that's for sure. whatever happened in the 1800s should STAY in the 1800s. Life should be about progress, looking towards to future and all that. Why would you want to learn about the mistakes made some few hundreds years ago which are not applicable now?
Come to think of it, P.E. was a waste of time, Art, while fun, but stifled by the poor currculum and pitiful teaching, was ever moreso a waste of time, moral education, was quite simply, he most stupid lessons ever taught, and actually, pretty much everything was a waste of my time.
I liked english, but I was ahead of the class, and the teachers hated me too much to put me in an advanced class, which they later did, but which I still felt was stupid. I hated chinese, and the teachers knew it, which is why later on the years, they'd just look at me and tell that they give up on me. Quite true, I'm just not a chinese person.
I liked math, but I didn't like learning about fractions, or whatever, because the curriculum, was quite the most boring thing ever.

Learning should be full of life, it should be full of questions, it should defo NOT be about I'm TELLING you this, you remember that and regurgitate it in the exam.
This is why I still do not advocate the Singaporean education. You're raising dumb robots, not children. Who could ever hope to learn if they could not question?

::Parents::
Actually, I did make life incredibly difficult for my parents while they were bringing me up. A typical chinese thing is that the parents always wanna brag about their kids right? well not me. I remember, in order for me to get into the primary school that my parents wanted me to go to, they had to make a 'donation' to get me in, then follow up by monthly donations just to keep me in the school. ;P That was because of the trouble I caused when moving into that school. Another thing was that my mom had to come down to 'chat with the principal' every month, because my teachers would complain and complain.. until he got real used to seeing my face. And even until now, he still remembers and recognizes me. yeah. notoriety.

I also remember, when I was 6 years old. I saw this project, made by this other girl in class. Now I was intensely intensely jealous of her work, so when I got the chance, I ripped her project apart. Now the teacher thought I did it, and all the other girls thought that I did (they were right), but I completely kept denying it until I started to cry while she was crying. So I cried louder than her so I won, in a way. The teacher stopped pestering me, and she totally hated my guts after that. Strange though, now that I think about it, I really was a nasty little cow.

Ahh well, things change, and people grow up. I've loads more stories, but hey, won't wanna damage my pure reputation. haha, nahh just thought I'd reminisce about what I did when I was young.

But now I think you'd have an idea of why I do NOT want kids when I'm older. Shit, I'd DIE. I have no idea how my parents put up with it.

Parenthood is a really great thing. But I'm never having kids like me.


> A picture of me when I was younger. :)

12 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger candy say What?

oh!!! ure so cute in the pic!!!!! hehe and dun freak abt burning ur books.. my sis burnt hers too.. after PSLE. HAHA

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger ferrarista say What?

Heya PJ!! Its like 1:47am, but I just had to read your childhood blog (I'm skimming precious minutes off my "thesis time")...

Anyhoos, you look totally adorable in that pic dear!! Very angelic looking...wouldn't think that you were a little devil...Man, you sound like you were a real pest in school...I take comfort in the fact that you are nothing like that now tho...

Have got to scamper off Pam, but take care babe and that was a good post...

Ciao!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger pj say What?

candy: cute? haha i was a troublemaker, that's what.

Wow! your sister is so coool! That's really damn funny, whahahahaha.

I rem at that age I was throwing my books away (because I thought my bag was too heavy), or I was busy drawing on my books. Like, all sorts of rubbish.

chris: yes I was a real pest. :P
well.. u know me well enough to know that not much has changed since then. haha!

no no i'm much better now, aren't i?? :D

take care babe!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian say What?

You tore your classmate's project?!?!? Your threw your books away??!?!? And you dare to admit them?!??!!?

*Respect :)

And oh yah Bleach rocks lah huh? I'm for Urahara. Heh.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger pj say What?

linda: yeah I had the asian girl bob. I think I looked awful. Why didn't I have long hair!!!

oh wait. Now I remember. I stupidly cut my own hair. no wonder. :D

sibeh sian: hahahaha! if I were male, I'd be bragging abt how big my balls were to admit such things. ;P

u like urahara! oooh.. I think.. out of all of them.. I like Ichigo, obviously, but I'm partial towards Hitsugaya Taicho, 3rd Squad. he looks so cute! + his bankai is damn cool lah.
but I also like Zaraki Kenpachi 'ken-chan'.. haha he so funny leh... :D

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous say What?

Can you believe I still keep some of my books?

That was a damn funny post :)

The only thing I remember about primary school was, the moment of realisation, when the damn maths teacher accused me of cheating and said I could never get an A* in PSLE.

I showed her then! Hah!

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian say What?

You paedophile you. Heh. I dig Zaraki "Bad-ass" Kempachi too, and I'm trying to resist reading the comics to avoid potential spoilers.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Xia_mi_mi say What?

Nope..you are definitely not the only "freak" that burn your textbook...there is someone I know that built a bonfire with it..muahaha~! =)

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger pj say What?

jac: OMG!! my form teacher said the exact same thing!! actually, come to think of it, ALL my teachers, including the discipline master said that I would end up in Normal Tech. :)

sibeh sian: ehh where got paedophile?? he cute mah. I have NO sexual intentions on cartoon characters.. Haha!
Anyways, Bleach ep 78 is up!! whoohoo! DIE, BOUNTOU, DIE!

xia mi mi: wah not just burnt it.. some more got bonfire ah? haha!
how many books he/she burnt? that's really coooooool!

now i donate my books to salvation army. ;)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian say What?

Heh, I watched last night liao. Can't wait for the original story line to start again leh.

And damn, the chicken paybak thingy is damn infectious!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger pj say What?

siben sian: yah! I want him to quickly go after aizen! but u know, aizen's very powerful + they have to go to the hollow place...

You know, I suspect that he has another bankai.
cos his first bankai was forced in 3 days, I don't think its a bankai at all, considering he has NO shikai. so of cos shikai 1st, then bankai right? yah I think he has another bankai in his zanpaktu. :)

so maybe once he develop his next bankai, he can fight aizen!! wooo.. can't wait!

p.s.: i like chicken payback too. but people, please. tell me when u get sick of it. I take song requests too! ;)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian say What?

I think his shikai is supposed to be the 'butcher-knife' lookalike thingy, dun know leh. But this kind of cartoon confirm plus guarantee chop got part 2 or even 3 and 4 bankai, heh. And Aizen never even show his bankai yet lor!

Anyway my face is still itchy like hell. Damn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home