Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Heaven in small bites.

::Disclaimer: Post all about ice cream. Like it or lump it. ::

I know it's pretty weird to be bloggin about ice cream.

But ice cream is globally renowned as comfort food. And besides, everyone likes ice cream (only weirdos hate ice cream and i don't care if you think otherwise).

So. To start with.
There are many types of ice cream in the world.
As a connoiseur of ice cream, I think I can vouch for my own impeccable taste (I did say I have a massive ego).
And here are the few that I would actually recommend.

Anyhows, the top 3 (yes, i'ma lazy bastard. I know.) favourite ice creams of mine.

1.) Ben & Jerry's chocolate brownie ice cream:

Match smooth, rich, creamy chocolate and heavenly chewy brownies. *Drooling just by typing this. The brownies are soft, chewy and oh-so-chocolatey. Best choice. Can't go wrong for chocoholics. (* actually, most of b& j's ice cream is good. cookie dough, strawberry cheesecake, ohhh.... *in heaven*) For Expert Analysis, refer below.
(*Note: Haagen Dazs uses more dark chocolate, resulting in a slightly more bitter and powdery aftertaste and is not as creamy as ben & jerry's. Which you might as well go for a tartufo gelato. Less fat, and more chocolate bang for your buck. Try Estivo's dark chocolate, or Movenpick's chocolate ice cream.)


2.) Orchard hotel home made ice-cream:
The strawberry ice cream is a MUST TRY. They make all their ice cream theirselves, and this is one strawberry ice cream that actually tastes slightly sorbet/ice cream-ish. It's like a gelato but with more oomph. When the ice cream touches your tongue, the first sensation is the sharp tang of a sorbet, coupled with the scent of strawberries, followed by the creamy sweetness of an ice cream, with an aftertaste of ripe strawberries. Yet it still remains light, like a gelato. I can't describe how fantastic this ice cream is, but it is prolly one of the BEST strawberry ice creams around.

3.) Simmo's ice cream in Margeret River, Western Australia:
Simmo's is a famous ice creamery in WA. You can either choose to travel all the way down Albany highway to Margeret River (might as well visit Berry farm @ the same time), or travel up to Fremantle and have lovely Ciserello's fish and chips while you're there.
Anyways, the best part about Simmo's is that they have an amazing range of flavours, with the dodgiest names. Forex, 'squashed frog' is peppermint and chocolate chip ice cream. Also, their ice cream is really colourful and jam-packed FULL of flavour. It's a lovely treat for a stroll down the shops on a warm afternoon. Actually, on further reflection, it's pretty damn good no matter when, where or how.
Absolutely brilliant.

So. My favourite ice creams in the world. When I see more of the world, I might add some, but these are pretty much the top of the heap on my current list.

Note: I don't discriminate between ice creams, whether its the dollar type sold by the street hawkers around Orchard, or the expensive type sold in posh restaurants. Its allllllll good. Oh - except for that sad excuse of ice cream that tasted like baby powder in boarding school. *shudder*

*if you've any ice creams that are halfway decent, hit the shout outs and drop a comment. I'd loooove to know of any better ones out there. No matter where. Even if it's in timbuktu. Good ice creams are hard to come by. :)

10 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger candy say What?

i refuse to read ur latest post.. coz it'll get me alll hungry and craving for icecream. i'll juz read the brand of the ice cream, buy it, dennnn read ur post! hahahahah

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger TYSEN say What?

Have you tried frozen custard? That is my favorite!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger pj say What?

Frozen custard? No, can't say that I have. But I have tried frozen trifle, and it's excellent, if a little hard.

I'll make a note of it though. What a great idea.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger pj say What?

Candy, I really reco the Orchard Hotel ice cream. I must remember to bring you someday soon. Their mango cake is brilliant too.

Oh, i'm getting hungry just typing this. And I just ate boon tong kee. woot!

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous say What?

hey man, u forgot the baskin and robbins ice cream!! esp. the take home tubs (which they should call "i'm being a greedy bastid") with half peppermint and half chocolate *yummo*

we don't have a ben and jerry's here...but we have gelare which is also really good. esp on titeass tuesdays where all the waffles and ice creams r half price :D

L

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger pj say What?

My god! yes Linda! you have got it spot on!

Gelare waffles with maple syrup, cookies and cream ice cream + pralines & cream ice cream. Oh my.

I did forget all about baskin robbins. But only because I uhh.. kinda overdosed a little during college days where baskins was like a 5 minute walk away. And I gorged myself silly on choc chip cookie dough (which btw, their cookie dough is excellent).

*siiigh* those were the days. Now it's like.. fuck i'm fat! No more ice cream!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger pj say What?

MY GOD! I forgot!

connoiseur choc cherry ice cream! We used to buy it back like 2x a week! and sit in front of the telly with a huge mug (yeah that was me) of earl grey and stuff ourselves (me again).

Especially on movie nights!

good times.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous say What?

oooh, u want a cheapie fix? buy vanilla ice cream (can be the cheapo black and gold brand but note, the more expensive, the better tasting!!) and sprinkle HEAPS of milo over the top...yummo

L

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger pj say What?

Jamie Oliver does that! Even tho he's SO yesterday... but he does it with banged up Maltesers!
In any case, vanilla ice cream is wonderful with anything:
matcha (green tea powder), coke (spiders are always excellent), fruit, etc.

I loove ice cream. But you know there's a separate type of ice cream? check out ice cream and money rolls by pharrell & nigo: http://www.urbangearshop.com/reicecr.html
WOOT!

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous say What?

Blogger,

I saw your post, Heaven in small bites.,
regarding Advertsing .

You are welcome to place a link to
your blog or website on our high
traffic website for free. See:

http://www.quickregister.net/infowizards


We have a specific category for Advertsing .
Your listing will be indexed in the search
engines under Advertsing . It will
also be a permanent link.

Thank you,

John,

http://www.quickregister.net
Free Search Engine Submission Service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home